Friday, 12 October 2012
12. Chevron Skirt
Here's my work for days four and five of the Kids Clothes Week Challenge. A chevron skirt. Remember I was saying that I had an idea and used the Oliver + S Skirt as a bit of a toille? It was for this. It was really for sizing. With all the changes I made to the pattern, it isn't really the same skirt.
Before I cut out the skirt, I "made the fabric" by joining alternating colours of corduroy strips. I cut the skirt out on a 45 degree angle, using just one pattern piece for each of the four sections of the skirt, two pieces leaning in one direction and two flipped over and leaning in the other direction. I then overstitched each join with a decorative stitch, rather than using straight lines of top-stitching.
In order to get the chevron effect to match up at the sides of the skirt, I made the front and back the same size. To simplify the skirt, I also eliminated the pockets and the kick pleat. Because the front and back were the same size, I placed elastic all the way around the waistband, rather than just at the back.
There was lots of careful pinning when I stitched the seams together to get all the joins to match. I also had to pin more than I usually would when I joined the waistband to the top of the skirt. The top of the skirt was cut on the bias, so there was a quite a bit of stretch in it. I possibly could have reined this in by sewing a stay-stitch along the top edge, but pins sufficed.